Ensure that your legacy contributes to the future well-being of animals in our community.
We would love to know more if you’ve already included us in your financial plans. Please take a moment to complete the below form to join our Legacy Society.
Charitable Gift Annuities
Charitable Gift Annuities (CGAs) offer a secure, fixed payment stream for yourself and/or a loved one for your lifetime. You will also receive tax benefits and the satisfaction of creating a lasting legacy.
- You donate cash or appreciated securities worth $20,000 or more to Blue Ridge Humane Society. In return, you and another beneficiary will receive fixed payments for life.
- Your payment rate is based on your age (payments start at age 55 or later) and will never change.
- A portion of your payments will be tax-free.
- The older you are (or the longer you defer starting your payment) the higher your payments will be.
Charitable IRA Gifts
You can take advantage of a simple way to benefit Blue Ridge Humane Society and receive tax benefits in return. An IRA charitable rollover allows people aged 70½ and older to reduce their taxable income by making a gift directly from their IRA.
- You must be 70 1/2 years or older.
- An individual may transfer up to $100,000 annually, and a married couple may give up to $200,000.
- An individual may take a one-time QCD of up to $50,000 to fund a charitable gift annuity (CGA) or charitable remainder trust (CRT).
- Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account.
- Your gift transfers funds from your IRA to Blue Ridge Humane Society, so it does not create taxable income for you and is not considered a charitable tax deduction.
- If you are 73 and older, the fund’s transfer counts towards your annual Required Minimum Distribution from your IRA.
To receive instructions on how to give to Blue Ridge Humane Society, please call 828-692-2639 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Charitable Remainder Trust
A Charitable Remainder Trust (CRT) is a tax-free trust that pays you and/or other beneficiaries an annual distribution. This payment is either a percentage of the trust’s yearly value or the original gift amount.
- You transfer cash or an appreciated asset into an irrevocable trust.
- The trustee then sells the asset, paying no capital gains tax, and reinvests the proceeds.
- For the rest of your life (or a term of years), you and/or another beneficiary receive payments from the trust.
- After your lifetime, the remaining principal is used to support our mission.
Blue Ridge Humane Society can be named as a contingent beneficiary in your will or personal trust if one or more of your specific bequests cannot be fulfilled. The following is suggested language for your legal adviser:
In the event that ____________ (name or names of heirs) shall not survive me, I give, devise and bequeath those beneficiaries’ shares to Blue Ridge Humane Society Inc (TIN ID: 56-6048726) located at 1214 Greenville Highway, Hendersonville, NC 28792, for its ___________ program, or for general purposes as determined by its Board of Directors.
Gift of Personal Property (Real Estate)
Use your assets to benefit the Blue Ridge Humane Society while at the same time preserving the benefits of those assets. You may wish to transfer ownership of real estate. In doing so, you remove the property from your estate and relieve yourself of any future management worries. In addition, you can deduct the property’s appraised value from your income tax liability and avoid capital gains. You may give now or defer your gift.
To receive instructions on transferring property to Blue Ridge Humane Society, please call 828-692-2639 or email email@example.com.
The following is the suggested language of a deferred gift for your legal adviser:
I give, devise and bequeath to Blue Ridge Humane Society Inc (TIN ID: 56-6048726) located at 1214 Greenville Highway, Hendersonville, NC 28792, ___________ (description of personal property) for its __________ program, or for general purposes as determined by its Board of Directors.
Donor Advised Funds
During your lifetime, you can make a gift from your donor-advised fund to Blue Ridge Humane Society. You may choose to make a one-time gift or to create a recurring monthly or quarterly gift for even more impact.
Gift of Stock or Appreciated Securities
Take advantage of an incentive the IRS offers, and use appreciated securities to make your gift. You’ll be able to claim a charitable tax deduction for the full, fair market value of the securities, and you’ll pay no capital gains tax on the transfer.
To receive instructions on how to easily transfer stock to Blue Ridge Humane Society, please call 828-692-2639 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retirement Plan or Life Insurance Beneficiary
Making a charitable gift from your retirement plan is easy and should not cost you any attorney fees. Simply request a change-of-beneficiary form from your account administrator or agent. When you have finished, please return the form to your plan administrator or agent and notify us.
To receive instructions on how to add Blue Ridge Humane Society as a beneficiary, please call 828-692-2639 or email email@example.com.
Name the Blue Ridge Humane Society as a beneficiary of a specified amount or percentage of your estate or trust. You may make your gift unrestricted or direct it to a specific purpose. The following is suggested language for your legal adviser:
I give, devise and bequeath to Blue Ridge Humane Society Inc (TIN ID: 56-6048726) located at 1214 Greenville Highway, Hendersonville, NC 28792, the sum of $________ for its _________ program, or for general purposes as determined by its Board of Directors.
Peace of Mind Pet Care Program
As a benefit of membership in our Legacy Society, healthy and adoptable pets of Legacy Society members are guaranteed a home should the member predecease his or her pet(s).
Blue Ridge Humane Society is a nonprofit 501 c3 animal welfare organization and limited admission shelter whose mission is to reduce the overpopulation of companion animals and to improve their quality of life through adoption, collaboration, and community education.
Federal Tax ID: 56-6048726