If you see something, say something. Even if your suspicions are incorrect, this ensures that every claim is properly investigated.
Blue Ridge Humane Society does not have legal authority to intervene on behalf of abused and neglected animals, but we can provide support.
Depending on where it is located, call one of the below agencies to file a report.
|Flat Rock||Henderson County Sheriff’s Office (828) 697-4912|
|Fletcher||Fletcher Police Department (828) 687-7922|
|City of Hendersonville||Hendersonville Police Department (828) 697-3025|
|Laurel Park||Hendersonville Police Department (828) 697-3025|
|Mills River||Henderson County Sheriff’s Office (828) 697-4912|
|All Other Areas||Henderson County Sheriff’s Office (828) 697-4912|
Signs of Cruelty
- Does the animal have regular access to food, water and shelter?
- Is her area clear of feces, broken glass or other objects that may do harm or cause illness?
- Does the animal have injuries that have not been treated?
- Does the animal have signs of untreated illness?
- Have you witnessed someone harming the animal?
- Is the animal’s coat extremely matted or his nails severely overgrown?
- Does the animal appear overly aggressive or timid?
- Even if you are not sure that you are observing animal cruelty or neglect, please report it anyway. An animal control officer will make that determination. If no crime is committed, at least the officer can educate the person who is caring for the animal in humane treatment.
- Documenting the incident with photographs or videotape can help in prosecuting the abuser. Your report should be as detailed as possible. You should note dates, times and circumstances.
- When making your report, ask for the name of the animal control officer and what action is planned. Follow up, and report any change observed in the animal’s treatment.
- Be aware that an investigating officer is not likely to identify the source of the complaint; however should the cruelty suspect be prosecuted, you may be called as a witness. Your concern for the animal should outweigh your concern about having to testify.