Status: FT, Salary pay is commensurate with experience.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Blue Ridge Humane Society is currently seeking an experienced bookkeeper to accurately process donor gifts and manage financial transactions & operations of the organization. The position will maintain financial reports, records, and general ledgers; prepare and analyze budgets; and perform general bookkeeping.
Including but not limited to:
- Knowledge of QuickBooks
- Monitor cash outflows and manage working capital requirements to ensure proper controls are in place to move funds for operational expenses.
- Provide assistance in the designing and implementation of policies and procedures to minimize operational risk.
- Direct the preparation of the year-end financial statements and account analyses and work closely with the outside independent public accounting firm in connection with year-end audits and Form 990.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Research and develop the annual budget with assistance from relevant department managers.
- Oversee payroll and employee benefits including processing payroll.
- Manage reconciliation of all banking deposits.
- Attend meetings with organizational departments as necessary, and ensure an open line of communication to meet the operating and financial needs of all departments.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports.
- Assist Executive Director with reporting financial information to the board of directors.
- Assist in the selection of consultants, auditors and investors as required.
- Prepare or assist with preparation of other required non-profit compliance reporting and registration requirements such as the Charitable Solicitation Licenses.
- Ensuring compliance with the financial and other compliance requirements of funders, donors, and regulatory bodies including federal, state and local agencies.
- Communicating with the Executive Director regarding key financial developments and challenges related to cash, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and compliance with financial reporting requirements.
- Managing Accounts Payable, including bill processing and payments, validating and reviewing expenses, and reconciling corporate credit cards.
- Managing Accounts Receivable, including the generation of invoices and tracking of bank deposits for all accounts as well as collections.
- Reconciling bank accounts.
- Able to accurately process financial and donor transactions.
- Compile monthly and year end reports.
- Follow standard accounting procedures and ensure data integrity.
- Experience in accounting/bookkeeping
- Basic math skills; ability to analyze figures; knowledge of accounting principles; excellent verbal/written communication, multi-tasking, prioritizing, and organizational skills
- Proficient in QuickBooks and Excel
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field is preferred
- Must be comfortable working in an animal friendly office environment
- Must love animals AND people!
Interested applicants should read full job description and send resume/cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule: 22-25 hours weekly. Must be available for weekend shifts.
The Thrift Store Lead Cashier assists the Thrift Store Director with conducting the daily operation of the BRHS Thrift Store in a constant changing environment. This includes: assisting with the daily flow of store merchandise; communicating and interacting with customers, volunteers, and donors; encouraging and supporting volunteers; facilitating a safe and healthy working and shopping environment for donors, customers, volunteers and staff. This position must support all BRHS board policies.
Including but not limited to:
- Assist or stand in for the Thrift Store Director with the day-to-day operations of the thrift store, including on-time opening and closing.
- Supervise volunteers in accordance with BRHS’s policies when Thrift Store Director is not present including assigning and directing volunteer work; providing regular, on-going feedback and appreciation; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Work cooperatively and congenially with volunteers of various ages and backgrounds, in a supervisory role.
- Ensure that store has enough staff/volunteer coverage, and covering as needed.
- Ensure that all volunteers provide excellent customer service by greeting donors and customers and helping with questions regarding store operations, merchandise location and pricing.
- Ensure accuracy of cash receipts and daily bank deposits; report any discrepancies to the Thrift Store Director. Ensure that no unauthorized staff members or volunteers handle the cash registers, safe or safe contents.
- Assist with accepting donations, sorting, tagging, pricing, and placing merchandise onto the sales floor if needed.
- Assist Thrift Store Director in training and supervising volunteer cashiers.
- Responsible for the general upkeep and appearance of the store. Report any problems, accidents, unsafe conditions or equipment trouble to the Store Manager and work collaboratively to resolve issues.
- Demonstrate creative thinking and ability to make both independent and collaborative decisions; show initiative, demonstrates a positive attitude to changes, suggestions, and feedback.
- Communicate effectively with customers, donors, volunteers and staff. Resolve complaints and forward unresolved complaints to the Store Manager.
- Demonstrate an understanding and commitment to the success of BRHS and its mission and is able to explain it accurately and with enthusiasm to donors, customers and volunteers.
- Understand and comply with all BRHS policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Retail experience preferred but not required
- Volunteer management experience preferred
- Strong organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word and Excel
- Ability to physically perform the essential job functions.
- Must be able to regularly lift or move heavy objects up to 50 lb
- Ability to work with a diverse population and establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with donors, volunteers, staff and management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good judgment when dealing with the public, decision making, and dealing with confidential information. Ability to effectively handle difficult interpersonal situations, including tactfully handling of angry and upset individuals when necessary.
- Must love animals AND people!
Certificates, Licenses & Registrations:
Must be willing to give permission for a background check and a DMV report. Must possess a valid unrestricted driver’s license with a driving record acceptable by Blue Ridge Humane Society’s insurance carrier. May be asked to submit to drug testing during employment.
If interested, email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.