Tips to Keep Your Pet Safe
The holidays should be a time of joy and celebration. Follow these simple recommendations to help avoid unwanted dangers or problems for your pets and ensure a merry happy holiday for all!
- Securely anchor your Christmas tree and other décor. Trees and other decorations can look like toys to pets and be tempting to climb or play with. Also avoid using mistletoe, holly, lilies or poinsettias in your décor as they are toxic to pets.
- Never leave your pet unattended around lit candles or the decorated tree.
- Keep normal food out of the reach of your pet, and ask your guests to do the same. This includes alcoholic beverages and leftovers.
- Make sure your pet doesn’t have any access to treats, especially those containing chocolate, xylitol, grapes/raisins, onions or other toxic foods.
- Consider giving your pet a room of their own for holiday parties and gatherings so they have a safe, quiet place. Make sure they have a comfortable spot to lay, their favorite toys, and fresh water.
- Don’t forget about New Year’s. The noise, poppers, and confetti can all create stress and hazards for pets. Have a plan in place to give your pet a safe, quiet, and calm space for the celebrations.